Friday, January 21, 2011

Camp Ocean Pines

Fireplace at Camp Ocean Pines by Passiflora Mosaics.

Last Saturday I had the privilege of being at one of the most beautiful places on earth, Cambria California. My friends and I, along with about eighty other volunteers, showed up on a crisp morning to mosaic the amphitheater at Camp Ocean Pines, a nonprofit camp and convention center. As we were standing around getting our instruction as to how the day was to go, we could hear the waves crashing and the sea lions barking. After gathering up our tools, gardening stools, and knee pads (thank God for Knee pads!), we hiked up the hill to get our first look at the Coliseum, I mean amphitheater. As you can see from the pictures, we had a big job ahead of us. After more instruction, we got to work placing broken plates, shiny glass, and found objects between the flagstones already placed on the benches. It was a lot of fun. Fred and Donnell of Passiflora Mosaics did a great job of overseeing all the volunteers. Passiflora www.passifloramosaics.com is the  place to go if you want to take workshops or just purchase beautiful mosaic artwork. I took a weekend class a few years ago and had a blast. After a great lunch provided by the camp, most people got back to work. Not my group, we headed back to town for some fast shopping, and a long drive to another beautiful place, my friend Teree's ranch. What a great weekend.



My husband and I have had these conversions before on what is better an ocean view or a lake view. To be honest I would take either and be happy about it, most people would. I have always been an ocean girl, and Mitch has always thought a lake was more interesting. After experiencing the beauty and tranquility of my friends lakeside ranch, I'm rethinking my preference. Checkout these pictures.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you took, and posted, the photos. A friend and I were trying to fit in going up to Cambria to assist. Alas, too many things, too little time and we were not able to commit. It's great to see the photos, though.

    I'll give you a call in the next week or so and set a time to pick up the scarf. I wondered where it had gotten to. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete