I'm so excited, a friend and I are going to be taking a workshop given by Lisa Kaus at the end of June. I love her whimsical style and also the bright colors she uses in her art. It's been several years since I've taken a class, and I'm so over due. Just stopping and cruising Lisa's blog inspired me to combine our styles in these two projects. I just couldn't wait until June, so I just had to fake it. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Faith, Hope, and Love will be hanging in a church lobby in a week, and the little houses will be for sale at up coming art shows. If you are not familiar with Lisa's work check out her blog, you won't be disappointed.
I love this project, I just have to smile every time I look at it. I found these wooden blocks a few months ago, while cleaning out closets. Some of the blocks belonged to my husband, and some to my kids. We kept them at our Grandmother's "AKA Grandma Noodle" house. Whenever we would go to visit her, the kids would play with them on her turquoise shag carpet. Austin would build the city, and Godzilla, I mean Annie would knock it down. I recently submitted these photos to be considered in a holiday magazine. We'll have to see what happens there. I thought it would make a great center or mantle piece. The snow is laundry detergent, it's kind of messy, but smells good. To me this was the prefect re-purposing project, that hopefully will be passed down to our kids. My husband grew up to be an architect. I'm not to sure what my kids will grow up to be. Maybe they will go into showbiz and remake all the old Godzilla movies.
Last week I found these cute little ceramic birds marked down to $1.25 at Michael's. There were four left so I bought them all. This morning I put together these two planters as gifts. They had brown clay pots at the hardware store, just the right color. I brought them home and using rubber stamps and cream colored acrylic paint, I stamped a script and an angel motif onto the pots and trays. Next I made a polymer base and put polymer roses around it's edge. Last I hot glued the ceramic bird and centered it into the succulents that I planted while the polymer was baking. This was a fast and easy project that gives a lot of bang for your buck.